Sorry if not linked correctly - looking through the list via the archives..
"reply" option doesn't seem to work (at least for me - older Chrome)

>but my understanding was that the 4004 and 8008 were effectively developed
>at the same time?   And were announced or available about within one month
>of each other?

I believe they were, although I never had much experience with the 4004...
I did play a bit with the 8008 - and wrote a simulator/emulator for the
8008 system I had, a Canadian:

 MIL (Microsystems International Limited) MOD8 (Modular-8)

it was also available as:

 GNC8 (Great Northern Computers) 8008

You can get MOD8 simulator from "Daves Old Computers" and actually
experience
using an 8008 based system including the built in "MONITOR-8" ROM software
as
well as "Scelbi 8008 BASIC" (one of the earliest) - source to both
 provided.

If you care to, I included ASM88 (my 8008 cross assembler) so you can try
writing and running 8008 code!

-Be aware that MOD8.COM itself is pretty old and is 16-bit DOS software.
 This means it WON'T run under modern Windows, but it does work well in
 DosBox (I recommend the one I have on my site)

Dave Dunfield   -   https://dunfield.themindfactory.com

Search "Dave's Old Computers" see "my personal" at bottom!