Thanks for that, Tim.  I was VP Ops of the Canadian Distributor for Data Systems design, and we got a lot of fierce competition from SMS.  However, when non-patched drivers were called for, we won every time.

SMS did have some speed advantages by going their own way though!

I always wondered what happened to them!

cheers,

Nigel

On 2023-12-05 19:59, Shoppa, Tim via cctalk wrote:
SMS was based in Mountain View starting in the 70's. They sold DEC-compatible
Q-bus storage systems in the early 80's and transitioned into IBM PC disk
storage ASICs and boards under the OMTI brand in the late 80s.

What happened to them after that? Some CC'er in Silicon Valley must know :-)

Tim N3QE

Nigel Johnson, MSc., MIEEE, MCSE VE3ID/G4AJQ/VA3MCU
Amateur Radio, the origin of the open-source concept!
Skype:  TILBURY2591