It wasn't just Versatec plotters that used this mixture - standard office
photocopiers also had clay-coated paper and liquid toner. I don't know what
allowed the change to plain-paper copiers (which use an intermediate
photosensitive drum, like a laser printer) but it was probably the expiry
of a patent, maybe Xerox's.