On 2024-04-27 2:29 p.m., Paul Koning via cctalk wrote:

On Apr 27, 2024, at 1:15 PM, Tarek Hoteit via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
wrote:

I came across this paragraph from the July 1981 Popular Science magazine
edition in the article titled “Compute power - pro models at almost home-unit
prices.”

“ ‘Personal-computer buffs may buy a machine, bring it home, and then spend the
rest of their time looking for things it can do’, said …. ‘In business, it’s
the other way around. Here you know the job, you have to find a machine that
will do it. More precisely, you have to find software that will do the job.
Finding a computer to use the software you’ve selected becomes secondary.”.

Do you guys* think that software drove hardware sales rather than the other way
around for businesses in the early days? I recall that computer hardware
salespeople would be knocking on businesses office doors rather than software
salesmen.  Just seeking your opinion now that we are far ahead from 1981.

Not PCs, but the first systems I worked on for DEC were turnkey PDP-11 based
systems for newspaper production.  Clearly the customer wanted to publish
newspapers, and the hardware involved wasn't what drove the decision.  A lot of
our competitors were specialized companies concentrating on that particular
business, not computer makers.  For example, arguably the top company at the
time (Atex, if I remember right) also used PDP-11s.  That was around 1978.

Also about that time, I worked with some people running a computer store in the LA area
("Rainbow Computing") on a proposal for a business application.  That was a
work scheduling and routing system for hospitals, and there too the point of it was the
application needed to solve the business problem, not the hardware on which it would run.

        paul

Did any one need REAL BCD math like the Big Boys had?