The thing that many audiophiles fail to grasp is that there's a
difference between listening and hearing.  The fact is that I'm just as
content listening to a recording of an old scratchy 78 with, say, Albert
Schweitzer (yes, that guy) playing Bach on organ as the latest
wunderkind flogging at the same work in surround-sound Dolbyized,
whatever.    I hear what AS was trying to say--he could have recorded
the stuff on a steam calliope and still have gotten his point across.

My take anyway--it's rather difficult to explain.

--Chuck