I know the document on bitsavers, but the series 700 is a complete different
one.

In this reader there is no clamp or breake or similar things, but a stepper motor which drives two sprocket wheels. Between the wheels is the optical sensor.

In the moment I'm about to reverse engineer the board. The db25 connector at the back is almost completely populated. I would like to known what the pin are for. Very good, that Decitek still exists. I will write them.

Micha

Martin Bishop via cctalk wrote:
It looks as though Decitek remain in business http://www.decitek.com/index.html

Scan of a series 700 reader manual on bitsavers
http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/decitek/

On an optical reader, I would not recon the capstan running at power on as
unusual - a pinch roller which engages for drive and a tape clamp engaging for
stop motion are both common features.  For simple single byte read operations,
probably the paradigm used when the unit was built, it is not uncommon for the
sprocket hole to stop feed and energise clamp.  The circuitry to control this
behaviour may be in the drive or controller or shared; and then there are
configuration links / switches ...

An empirical approach is to scope / LA the sprocket and data bit outputs;
ideally with a tape loop.

HtH; Martin