On 5/28/2024 2:28 PM, Jon Elson via cctalk wrote:
On 5/28/24 10:00, CAREY SCHUG via cctalk wrote:
Au crontraire, I belive the first mobile phones were mostly purchased by corporations for their executives to use, if the executive left, the phone stayed with the corporation.  Early mobile phones were NOT personal devices.

In 1971 or 1972 I was in the Washington DC airport executive lounge. Dolly Parton was in there, she had two gofers getting her coffee and stuff, and she had a large "bag phone" that she was on a lot of the time, presumably making arrangements for shows.  This was a square-cornered hard bag with a shoulder strap, and there was an old-style handset with a coil cord connected to it.  The bag was something like 10 by 8 x 4" and appeared to be quite heavy.  I am pretty sure the thing was "personal" to her.

My wife had one.  It was definitely personal.

bill