CAREY SCHUG wrote:
> I think I tried a game on a flatscreen, and had issues.

I've seen this lots - I'm not sure its entirely "interlace" - I tended to think
more of the
fact that CRT's scan causing the "pixel dots" to flash at high speed (not
detectable to
the human eye, but detecting a such a frequency is definitely possible for a
bit of
electronics. (Of course scan/interlace all contribute to the rate of picture
elements
flashing - all depends on what the particular device looked for)

For example, I had an NES with the "light gun" - this was a gun you could use
to shoot
things moving around on the screen. When you pulled the trigger - the whole
screen would
flash - basically they quickly blanked it with only a small while square a the
location of the
moving item - during this time, they would look for a light image received by
the (fairly
highly focused) gun at the refresh frequency - so you couldn't just point it at
light source - it had to be the TV screen (or course you COULD fool it with
another
source "blinking" at the right frequency - but this was beyond the
knowledge/ability
of most who used the system :-)

On an LCD TV - the gun didn't shoot! - LCD pixels tended not to be
scanned/refreshed the same
way, and are also slower - so whatever scan frequency might have been used
isn't detectable.

Dave ::: https://dunfield.themindfactory.com ::: "Daves Old Computers"->Personal