On Thu, Jun 6, 2024, 6:19 AM Bill Degnan via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
wrote:

> > Ok, now you're back to cost.  Your criteria keep changing.   You cannot
> > give something meaning when the "something" keeps changing.  This is why
> > you are refuted.
> >
> > I refute you, sir!
> >
> > Sellam

There's "personal computing" as a verb and "personal computer" as an object
> classification.  These are distinct terms.   Using a UNIVAC 1 for personal
> computing purposes does not make the UNIVAC 1 a personal computer in so far
> as the UNIVAC 1 was not originally classified (such as with the patent
> office) as a device intended for the express purpose of personal computing,
> as defined as blah blah blah.

There were no classifications of computers when the UNIVAC was built. They
were just "computers" (spoken in the old-timey news voice).  Personal use
did not and could not have even been considered until there was 30 more
years of development to bring costs and size down to make them ubiquitous,
for comparisons to begin to be made so categories could be invented by
marketers, and computers categorized into various classifications.  But
none of that matters because it comes down to how they're used.

One could argue that the manufacturer as the right to declare what is and
> is not the intended personal use of the thing they're manufacturing, as
> represented by the manuals, promotions and marketing, training, etc.

And it is the right of the buyer to use that product in any way they want,
including personally.

So, I think really it's possible to declare anything a personal computer or
> not a personal computer if you have some sort of base definitions for these
> things.  I think that's the problem we're having, the terms "personal
> computer" and personal computing are not really dictionary words.
>
> Bill

time, "computers" were primarily a multi-user, time-sharing affair.  To
have a computer for one's own exclusive use is what made it personal, and
that's what Ed Roberts had in mind when he implemented the term.

So you are also refuted.  I refute you!

Anyone else, before I clear the board of all the pieces, declare myself
winner, and go home?

Sellam