> Fascinating - and there was a video game made by Atari called Lunar
> Lander which also tried to put a LEM safely on the surface.

At the U of Alberta in the graphics terminal room in the General
Services Bldg., next door to the I/O room (pick up and drop
off cards and printouts from the MTS Amdahl), there was a short
rack with a ~10U PDP of some flavour connected to a rack mount
GT-40 graphics terminal.  There was a version of lunar lander
you could download into the PDP from the MTS system and play off-
line (i.e. free).  You used a light pen to control everything,
and the goal was to land successfully beside the only McDonalds
on the moon.

--lyndon