On 6/25/24 11:35 AM, Paul Koning via cctalk wrote:

On Jun 25, 2024, at 2:27 PM, brad via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org> wrote:

I'm curious what happens to items that were donated on the understanding that
the museum would be a safe long term place for them?Pretty sad they couldn't
make it work.
There's a lot to be said for hard rules in signed contracts, though even with
those you aren't necessarily safe.  (There are court precedents, in the USA at
least, where museums went against the explicit written terms of donations and
the courts somehow came up with an excuse for approving that.)

Personally, I would be very hesistant to *give* anything to a museum; the safe
route is a loan, with well crafted written terms.  That way you're not giving
up ownership, and the main risk then becomes damage from inadequate care.  (And
yes, that too can happen.)

Loaning was not an option at LCM. I donated some items and, when I read in the agreement that they could decide to just sell it to help fund the museum, I asked if I could loan it instead. They said that they didn't do loans.

What I want to know is whether they even tried to keep the museum intact and fork off a foundation to run it like MoPOP and Flying Heritage.

alan