Steve
You ask a lot of good questions.
The story is pretty well documented.  There was a company that made a
commercial version of the computer described in the book
https://blog.adafruit.com/2013/05/08/how-to-build-a-working-digital-computer-out-of-paperclips/
There is a nice paperclip computer at the System Source museum in Hunt
Valley, MD.
I am sure there are people who actually built homebrew versions by
following the book but I have never seen one.

Analog computers are not like quantum computers enough for a valid
comparison.  Different era, different uses.  Quantum computers are still
digital computers and they're really nothing like analog computers of the
50's-late 60's.

Analog computers were wired to complete a circuit that performs a
mathematical function circuit.  The inputs and outputs are voltages or
other electronically-measurable forces such as vibration.  When an analog
computer program runs the output is sent to a voltmeter, oscilloscope,
plotter or counter, or custom device.  A person would take the plot (waves,
plotted points, etc.) and measure the slope or wave frequency manually by
performing additional calculations with a slide rule or feeding the data
into a digital computer for analysis.  Think smart programmable thermostat.

Analog computers are more like open-use peripherals that can be programmed
to do one thing at a time over and over.   Analog computers often
had amplifier tubes which were used to generate input voltage pulses to be
fed into the program circuitry.  I am just touching the surface, but hope
that explains what they did.  They're no longer used for general computing
because now we have USB devices that do analog to digital conversion

50's-60s' analog computer programming is done by patch panel.

BIll