i think it was strongly disliked by many non-technical users because it was
the first one where MS tried to lock down some admin functions, forcing the
users to confirm or enter an admin password to continue. This isn't
necessarily bad but it was rather hamfisted and disliked.

Technical reasons for disliking it may have been different. It appeared
after I had abandoned their products and I never had to deal with it.