On 2015-09-05 18:00, william degnan wrote:
Were common, but are there a lot in use today?  I am going to take some
photos, share with whomever is interested.  The plan is to clean
thoroughly, move into the basement and work to restore.

I would say they are rather uncommon today. We're basically talking about a 40 year old tape drive with vacuum colons. Many things that age badly, not to mention lots were tossed when they became unfashionable. And vacuum colon drives do require a bit more time and understanding to work on in the first place.

I have a TU10 at home, connected to my PDP8, but I doubt the drive is working anymore. I haven't powered it on in over 10 years...

        Johnny