I'm setting up a new i386 8.0 VBox as we speak and will try to fiddle with
the build tomorrow. The main cf file will need some major rework as it has
a lot of stuff unnecessarily hardcoded, which dooms the whole attempt as
soon as you try something as nefarious as bootstrapping pkgsrc somewhere
else but /usr/pkg, like, let's say /usr/local.

The NetBSD gencat is a problem too, as it doesn't recognize some escape
sequences like \\\". Unfortunately that one's used for message 10040 in a
common dt file linked to by over 300 other files and effectively nukes the
whole documentation side of the build. I don't think we'll get away with a
single weekend of work on that one. ;)

I have an ancient Compaq nx8220 that's been running NetBSD since the Romans
left, and CDE has been its Desktop since it was open-source'd. Getting that
back into running order is a personal thing ;-)

Cheers. Hippo