I just bought an Acer CRW1032A CD ReWriter, internal IDE, which does
10x write 4x rewrite and 32x read. When I write a CD using cdrecord,
everything appears to go as it should, the only problem is nothing gets
written to the CDR or CDRW media! I have tried different speeds and
still no go. cdrecord does not report any errors, it just appears as if
I've passed the -dummy option. I tried burning in dummy mode on the off
chance that it might work but no go. Visual inspection of the CDR/RW
verifies that the laser is not burning into the cd.

Is there some way to determine if the drive has a bad write laser? This
is a newer drive and I don't think it's officially supported yet, but I
don't have a Windows box to easily plug it into (although I may try that
if I can't determine if it's broken under Linux). The drive does read
data cds fine, and shows up as

        0,0,0     0) 'ATAPI   ' 'CD-R/RW 10X4X32 ' '7.EZ' Removable CD-ROM

when I do cdrecord -scanbus.

I am using kernel 2.2.17 and cdrecord 1.9.

Thanks,

Leigh Orf

http://orf.cx