>From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Davidsen)

>> Sorry, my mail seems to be non-obvious:
>>
>> What should happen with:
>>
>> mkisofs -o /tmp/xxx dir/
>> mkisofs -o /tmp/xxx file
>> mkisofs -o /tmp/xxx dir1/ dir2/ file ....

>  In this case I believe that what I would expect to happen (as an
>experienced user), what I would like to happen, and what the user
>entering these commands might mean are at least two different things.

>> mkisofs -o /tmp/xxx dir/

>I would expect this to use the contents of dir/ as the base for the ISO
>image, so file dir/foo would be foo on the CD. And in this case I think
>most users would want that.

>> mkisofs -o /tmp/xxx file

>I would expect a very small ISO image with a single file.

>> mkisofs -o /tmp/xxx dir1/ dir2/ file ....

>I would expect dir1 and dir2 contents to be "lowered" by one level, as
>in the first case. I suspect that most people would assume that dir1 and
>dir2 would be preserved, but after writing scripts to generate
>dir1/=dir1 over and over, I have learned what this does.

>Comments:

>1. The current behaviour is consistant. I don't like it, it's
>unintuitive, it gets really ugly when you want to preserve a bunch of
>directories, but it works.

My intention was to make it behave this way:

mkisofs -o /tmp/xxx dir/

                Will use dir/ as root dir for the CD

mkisofs -o /tmp/xxx file

                Will have only file in the root dir of the CD

mkisofs -o /tmp/xxx dir1/ dir2/ file ....

                Will have dir1/ dir2/ and file in the root dir of the CD

mkisofs -o /tmp/xxx ab/cd/ef/dir1/ hello/dir2/ file ....

                Will have dir1/ dir2/ and file in the root dir of the CD

I hope that this is intuitive.

>2. As nice as a short form would be, I think having "dir1" "dir1/" and
>"dir1/." not do the same thing would confuse the hell out of the typical
>users.

Right. First: POSIX requires dir and dir/ to be the same.

>3. I'm attracted to having an option which is followed by a list of
>directory names, which would appear on the CD unchanged.
>as: cdrecord -o foo -dirlist abc,def/,/usr/local/src
>same as: abc/=abc def/=def usr/local/src/=/usr/local/src

I believe that this is not simple enough.
Keep in mind that even the current dir=dir syntax is not understood
by all users and that my REMOTE SCSI seems not to be accepted because
most people don't understand the possible usage.

>4. I would love to make the general case of xxx=yyy mean that file or
>directory yyy would appear as xxx on the CD. It would mean that any
>name which contained an equal would be a special case. That actually
>does affect me, but names with equal are unusual, and I certainly would
>rather have the usual case be easy and intuitive. I really need equals
>in both disk and CD names, but I don't mind inconvenience as a penalty
>for having to support an ill-designed application.

How about my proposal:

        Use the old behavior only if there is only one dir type arg.

        If there is a file type arg or if there are more args, then
        make the last path component appear on the root dir of the CD.

Jörg

       [EMAIL PROTECTED]               (uni)  If you don't have iso-8859-1
       [EMAIL PROTECTED]           (work) chars I am J"org Schilling