Matthias Schniedermeyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> cdrecord has a problem with SCSI-(RAID)-Controllers that don't allocate a
> ne scsibus for each Channels.
>
> Yesterday i got a 5 Channel FAST-SCSI RAID-Controller (ICP-Vortex)
>
> I have 4 CD-Rs and every one has a dedicated channel on the new
> Controller. First i had configured every CD-R to ID-0. But then cdrecord
> could only see the first one. Now i configured every drive with diffrent
> IDs (cdrecord -scanbus attached). But that's not "the(tm)" solution.

The answer is that some RAID controllers present the PCI interface with
each RAID group shown as a single drive (with a virtual device number
and LUN 0) regardless of how many drives and/or SCSI busses are used by
the RAID group. If this is the case the o/s can not tell the actual
physical connect layout, and  probably shouldn't care.

> AFAIK other OSses use "Adapter,Channel,ID,Lun" Adresses too. Why does
> cdrecord "only" use "scsibus,ID,Lun" (Hmmm. Do ANY cases exist where the
> LUNs are needed? (i only know 1 case, SCSI2SCSI-Bridges which map the ID
> from the "slave"-Channels to LUNs of the ID on the Main-Channel. But i
> think those bridges are "unusual")

Sure, if you buy a "CD tower" config, all the drives have the same
device number and use LUNs. This allows you to connect WAY TOO MANY to a
single controller.

Now my RAID controllers, which IBM ships with Netfinity systems, clearly
states that it should not be used with CD-ROM devices, so I would take
their word for it. I assume your controller has CD capability, but I'm
not surprised that the information returned doesn't match the actual
setup, and as long as the controller has a "no RAID" setting it doesn't
matter if the CDs look as if they are on a single bus.

I believe that there is no problem in cdrecord or Linux in this case, it
"just the way it works." Also note that if you use devfs under the
current (2.4) kernel series, the detail is much more obvious, although
you still only see what the controller chooses to show you. Undoubtedly
someone will claim that this is a Linux bug and that some other o/s
calls the phychic hotline and gets the actual config ;-)

--
   -bill davidsen ([EMAIL PROTECTED])