Hello.
When I was using self-compiled kernel 2.4.6 with the latest
cdrtools (1.11a06), my only problem was the occasional complete
system freeze during the cd-burning process.  It would happen on
any CD, at virtually any moment, for no reason.  It happens more
often if I do something else while the CD is burning, although
it has happened even without doing something else.

I went away for 7 weeks and when I came back, I downloaded and
compiled 2.4.9.  I believe the freezes are gone.  However, a new
problem has shown itself.  cdda2wav, while ripping at maximum
speed, seems to rip too fast for the hard drive to handle.
That's impossible because previous benchmarks show the CDRW
can't rip faster than 25X and my hard drive has a throughput of
8.03MB/s (hdparm output).  The same exact situation occurs when
ripping using my other (slower) CDRW for ripping.

cdrecord, while burning, seems to suffer from the same "hard
drive slowness".  On certain times at certain tracks (not
consistent), the FIFO percent decreases until it sometimes
reaches ~5%, but the CD burning process continues without fail.
Both CDRWs are SCSI.

Has anyone experienced this?

SuSE 7.2 User
System Specs