This is an email I sent to Jörg Schilling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
some time ago but neither he nor me have found the explanation.
I send the email here to know if any of you know the explanation.

I've been comparing images produced with mkisofs and nero.

I've seen that mkisofs writes 4 blank sectors that nero doesn't write at
the headers.

Are these blank sectors needed to conform to iso9660 ?
Because images produced with nero work in every system I know about.

Comparing joliet images with only 1 small file

mkisofs                                  nero
sectors                                  sectors
16 blank                                 16 blank
01 Volume descriptor                     01 Volume descriptor
01 Volume descriptor Joliet              01 Volume descriptor Joliet
01 Volume Descriptor Set Terminator      01 Volume Descriptor Set Terminator
01 Version (not found with my patch)     01 directory
01 path table little endian              01 path table little endian
01 blank                                 01 path table big endian
01 path table big endian                 01 directory joliet
01 blank                                 01 path table little endian joliet
01 path table little endian joliet       01 path table big endian joliet
01 blank                                 01 file data
01 path table big endian joliet
01 blank
01 directory
01 directory joliet