I understand this is a development list, but I've not located other list
resources so I apologize if this is OT.

I've got a Philips cdrw that was working for a while just fine.  I've
since upgraded kernels a couple of times as well as distributions.  When
I've attempted to use it lately I get a kernel panic and the box locks
up.  Some folks have indicated that they think the drive's gone bad, but
I wouldn't expect that to cause a kernel panic.

Anyway, anyone have any insights into what this might be an indicator
of?  Since I've moved through a couple of kernels since my last cd
creation, I want to be sure this thing is junk before I go out and
replace it.

Currently running Mandrake 8.1 with kernel  2.4.12.  Last time I used
this drive it was kernel 2.2.18 and I believe the distro was Mandrake
7.2???

Insights and/or pointers to this problem or a more appropriate forum
would be greatly appreciated.

--
Until later: Geoffrey           [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"...the system (Microsoft passport) carries significant risks to users
that
are not made adequately clear in the technical documentation available."
- David P. Kormann and Aviel D. Rubin, AT&T Labs - Research
- http://www.avirubin.com/passport.html