On 26-Feb-02 Christoph Kukulies wrote:
> It is funny that when I satisfy now sg1 to be linked to scd1
> that cdrecord goes one higher and claims it cannot open sg2 ans so on.
>
> Any clues?

Yes certainly. You ask cdrecord to show what scsi devices are on the scsi
buses (note the plural there too).

It will send an inquiry command to all of them to get back an answer what the
respective device is and get assume nothing to be there if the inquiry times
out.

So obviously to scan the bus cdrecord need to "write" the inquiry command to
all generic scsi interfaces.

What you problaby want is to scan the bus once to know what's the right
device, put that device in /etc/cdrecord.conf or wherever the default
location of that is nowadays and then adjust the permission on that one
device so users intended to be able to burn CD's have the matching
permissions (i.e. belong to cdwrite group).

*BUT* cdrecord will not be able to run in real-time priority and other
minor problems if not run as root. So the recommendation from the author
(Jörg not me) is to set cdrecord suid root and set the execute permissions so
only the right users may execute it.

K.-H.