> And in the interest of equal opportunity discrimination, I tried
> cdrecord-ProDVD in -dummy mode as well, with the same result:-)
>
> I suspect the onboard IDE controller on the machine "just sucks" and I'm
> installing an ATA133 card I was able to scrounge to experiment further.

Switching to an ATA100 or an ATA133 controller (PDC 20267 and PDC 20269
respectively) instead of the onboard controller causes no change; cdrecord
with the mache patch as well as cdrecord-ProDVD fail.

hdparm reported dma was not enabled, so for good measure I tried hdparm
-d1 on the (ide) device node, with no effect. Also trying hdparm -c1
caused (either) cdrecord to stop working entirely.

-D