>From: Douglas Gilbert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>> It is a vanilla SuSe 7.2 with 2.4.4-4GB kernel.
>>
>> I am unsure why you ask for the writer interface, I already mentioned it:
>>
>>              PCATA

>Ah, I thought that was the brand. So _all_ ATAPI cdwriters
>lock up on Sony VAIO notebooks? It seems strange that
>it locks up on /dev/sg1 in a scan. That implies there
>was something on /dev/sg0 (perhaps a cd/dvd reader?).

This is a CV1E, the popular hacker notebook with the crusoe.
Although one should expect that this is a notebook with
premium Linux support, it is a pure desaster.

It is not clear what /dev/sg0 connects to, you cannot do a
inquiry on it....

PCATA is PC-Card acting as ATA drive. I thought you know that this
is a popular way of connecting a CD writer to a Notebook.

>The output of "cat /proc/scsi/sg/*" may help me
>understand what is happening.

You cannot use ide-scsi on PCATA, if you do it, the machine
panics! I already reported one year ago.....

I just looked into the /proc/scsi/sg* files and it seems that
they are related to USB. Well, this is the second Linux desaster!

You cannot use a USB cd Writer if it is connected while booting...
If you carefully wait 5-10 ninutes after booting and then
plug it in, it will work. While booting, the USB/SCSI subsystem
chokes when it finds the memory stick interface which acts like
a changable SCSI disk on USB where no disk is in.
For the same reason, you cannot boot from Floppy - when the
system boots it needs to recognise the SCSI USB Floppy but
as the system chokes at the memorystick interface it will
not detect the floppy :-(

:::::::::::::::
/proc/scsi/sg/debug
:::::::::::::::
dev_max(currently)=9 max_active_device=3 (origin 1)
 scsi_dma_free_sectors=64 sg_pool_secs_aval=320 def_reserved_size=32768
 >>> device=sg0 scsi0 chan=0 id=0 lun=0   em=1 sg_tablesize=255 excl=0
   FD(1): timeout=20500ms bufflen=32768 (res)sgat=0 low_dma=0
   cmd_q=0 f_packid=0 k_orphan=0 closed=0
     No requests active

:::::::::::::::
/proc/scsi/sg/def_reserved_size
:::::::::::::::
32768

:::::::::::::::
/proc/scsi/sg/device_hdr
:::::::::::::::
host    chan    id      lun     type    bopens  qdepth  busy

:::::::::::::::
/proc/scsi/sg/device_strs
:::::::::::::::
Sony            MSC-U01N                1.00
Sony            MSC-U01N                1.00

:::::::::::::::
/proc/scsi/sg/devices
:::::::::::::::
0       0       0       0       0       0       1       0
1       0       0       0       0       0       1       0
1       0       0       1       -1      0       1       1

:::::::::::::::
/proc/scsi/sg/host_hdr
:::::::::::::::
uid     busy    cpl     scatg   isa     emul

:::::::::::::::
/proc/scsi/sg/host_strs
:::::::::::::::
SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices

:::::::::::::::
/proc/scsi/sg/hosts
:::::::::::::::
0       0       1       255     0       1
0       1       1       255     0       1

:::::::::::::::
/proc/scsi/sg/version
:::::::::::::::
30117   Version: 3.1.17 (20001002)

>> It hangs in "scsi_block_when_processing_errors"

>So that rules out a _sg_ driver bug :-)

>> I am not sure if you don't know this, but Linux does not support
>> DMA for PCATA drives. Some people state that this is not true,
>> but those people could never have tried to use Linux this way.
>> Unfortunately, Alan Cox is ne of these persons ;-(
>>
>> If you turn on DMA at the device, Linux will not detect it.

>As I have noted before, the IDE subsystem in the lk 2.4
>series tries to maximize the DMA mode, even to cdwriters.
>This causes problems with cdwriters that can't actually
>handle that speed (and some IDE chipsets).

PCATA is not related to IDE Chipset.

If I configure the drive to identify as old PCMCIA ATA
drive, it works (but slow). If I configure it to identify
as CARDBUS (and tus DMA capable) it will not be recognised.

>Also the lockup that you are reporting would be avoided
>if the bus scan was performed with the O_NONBLOCK flag
>on open() [as my documentation recommends].

Anything that may happen witout O_NONBLOCK needs to be interruptable
by signals, so this is a bug.

>P.S. Email I send to you directly bounces.

Not knowing the error code I can only guess that you are coming
from a provider that is listed as well known SPAM provider.

Jörg

       [EMAIL PROTECTED]               (uni)  If you don't have iso-8859-1
       [EMAIL PROTECTED]           (work) chars I am J"org Schilling

 FOKUS at CeBIT Hall 11, A14 - BerliOS at CeBIT Hall 11 D11 (Future Market)

 Meet me at CeBIT in Hall 11 D11 on the BerliOS booth - www.berlios.de