>I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the
>philosophy behind duplicating Volume Descriptors on a
>single CDROM ?  (I refer to exact copies, not one or
>more Supplementary Volume Descriptors that each provide
>their own hierarchy with possibly different character
>sets and possibly the same files.)
>
>In reading the Volume Descriptors from an ISO9660 CDROM,
>if I encounter a Logical Sector that cannot be read, I
>have no idea whether what I missed duplicates another
>Volume Descriptor or provides a unique hierarchy.
>
>What am I missing ?  (in this particular area :-)

mkisofs used to write out two Primary Volume Descriptors - from v0.99:

  /* For some reason, Young Minds writes this twice.  Aw, what the heck */
  fwrite(&vol_desc, 1, 2048, outfile);
  fwrite(&vol_desc, 1, 2048, outfile);
  last_extent_written += 2;

I guess it was to make mkisofs CDs 'compatible' with what ever 'Young Minds'
generated.

As to why Young Minds did this, I have no idea - I know the Linux isofs
driver 'searches' for a PVD anywhere in the first 100 blocks or so - it
could have been for some buggy OS that may be missed the PVD if it was
at the 17th block ...

James Pearson