>>From: Mike Fox Morrey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>>      Hey all, anyone have one of these? I'm testing one for work, and it seems
>>to be a combo drive, DVD-RAM/R drive. I can do a -prcap on it, and it will
>>report yes to DVD-RAM and DVD-R, but if I actually try to do a but, I get:
>>cdrecord: Sorry, no CD/DVD-Recorder or unsupported CD/DVD-Recorder found on
>>this target.
>
>>Drive info:
>>Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
>>Version        : 0
>>Response Format: 2
>>Capabilities   :
>>Vendor_info    : 'MATSHITA'
>>Identifikation : 'DVD-RAM LF-D310 '
>>Revision       : 'A116'
>>Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD.

(With thanks to Seth Kurtzberg at MIS Corp for passing
the advice for using dd instead.)

In summary - to write ISO images to a DVD-RAM drive - try using
dd instead of dvdrecord or cdrecord.  This seems to work.

e.g.,  dd if=/tmp/isos/1.iso of=/dev/scd0

(make sure you are writing to a valid device or you
will fill up your /dev area pretty quickly)

For Linux:
Otherwise - just use it as a removable disk drive and copy
to it directly.  Udf tools at the following address seems to
work on the latest Redhat (which in theory means the disc
would be readable on other DVD-RAM drives on Windows and Mac)?:
  http://packages.debian.org/testing/otherosfs/udftools.html
make sure "/sbin/modprobe udf" is in your startup.

Take a look at the following links (some of the information is
wrong as I am still going through the permutations and combinations
of things)  Still working out if there is a size limit for
writing ISO images to DVD-RAM such that they cease to be
bootable after a certain size(?)

For read/write to DVD - dar backup page is most relevant.

 http://www.ccp14.ac.uk/ccp14admin/linux-server/mondorescue/index.html
 http://www.ccp14.ac.uk/ccp14admin/linux-server/dar_backup/index.html
 http://www.ccp14.ac.uk/ccp14admin/linux-server/iso_images_to_dvdram/index.html

Lachlan.

-----------------------
Lachlan M. D. Cranswick

Collaborative Computational Project No 14 (CCP14)
    for Single Crystal and Powder Diffraction
  Birkbeck University of London and Daresbury Laboratory
Postal Address: CCP14 - School of Crystallography,
                Birkbeck College,
                Malet Street, Bloomsbury,
                WC1E 7HX, London,  UK
Tel: (+44) 020 7631 6850   Fax: (+44) 020 7631 6803
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]   Room: B091
WWW: http://www.ccp14.ac.uk/