>From: Simon Matthews <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>> I have no idea: This looks like a result of a bug in the libc found on RH 7.3.
>>
>> I really hope that Linux will become a decently usable OS in the near future.
>> But without compatible libraries this looks impossible.

>There are many people using Linux in production environments today. It is
>certainly "decently usable".

>Now, no-one is going to say that there is any OS or non-trivial library
>that is completely free of bugs. Things just don't work that way.

>There are probably many more users on Linux than any of the *nix's, so a
>more positive attitude might be to figure out the faults and figure out
>how to work around them. I imagine that thousands of developers around the
>world are doing just that. Polemics about the state of Linux and the
>libraries used on Linux just don't solve any problems.

Your polemics is not helpful at all.

If you never tried to use code compiled on a different Linux system you cannot
know about the problems with binary compatibility on Linux.

Why do you believe will united Linux use a single binary base for all
distributions?

Jörg

       [EMAIL PROTECTED]               (uni)  If you don't have iso-8859-1
       [EMAIL PROTECTED]           (work) chars I am J"org Schilling