Hi Jörg!

* Joerg Schilling writes:
>Note that the encoding speed is content dependant.  Also note that due
>to a kernel design bug, Linux does not enable DMA for ATAPI drives if
>the sector size is != 2048 (as with RAW sector size 2448). This results
>in a high system load and may cause a buffer underrun even before the
>estimated maximum speed of the edc library has been reached.

This is not true, at least not as a general statement. As I reported in
a newsgroup, you are reading, I was able to burn a data CD with -raw96r
at 20x speed with my ATAPI CD writer with less than 5% CPU usage with
your closed source version. AUDIO CDs can be burnt with the same
options with less than 3% CPU usage even with the open source
version. So it's rather a bad setup than a general Linux problem. I
tested this with 2.4.18 and 2.4.20-pre8-ac3, i.e. with the new and the
old IDE subsystem.

regards
Markus