On Monday 28 Oct 2002 7:07 am, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Lourens Veen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> <snip - have explanation of how to submit bug reports when an
error occurs>

> Well, this kind of crash handler is just a signal handler - some
> code which is executed when the operating system tells a process
> (a program being executed) that it has done something way wrong.
> It replaces the default behaviour of dumping the core. So the
> process has to do something what the operating system can
> recognize as being wrong.

I know, but that's not what I meant. CDRecord already has signal
handlers, although not for SIGSEGV (IMHO it would be good defensive
programming if it had one, if only to say "CDRecord crashed, check
your hardware because the software is perfect"). Anyway, what I
mean is that if something unexpected occurs, which may be a SIGSEGV
(no I never had one with CDRecord either) or a SCSI error, or
whatever else that's unexpected, the user should get some
information on how to deal with it. Joe User isn't going to search
the mail archives, and isn't going to give a decent bug report,
unless there's a big fat "do _this_ and exactly _this_ or we won't
help you" message to go with the error message. And if he doesn't
search the mail archives or send a decent bug report, but instead
send a mail that says "it doesn't work" then Jörg is going to give
another rant about how he spends so much time developing CDRecord
and that everybody is stupid, which we're trying to avoid, right?

> By now I never saw cdrecord crashing in this way. cdrecord
> certainly outputs SCSI error messages if something goes wrong,
> but these are errors detected by cdrecord itself. The operating
> system stays completely cool about them.

Again, it's not a technical point I'm trying to make, I'm looking at
it from a user-interface point of view.

> So what's needed is some translation of plain SCSI error messages
> to instructions what could be done to fix it. However this is a
> feature already wished for a dozen times, which requires
> knowledge about:

I know, I took part in that discussion.

Lourens
--