Hi guys,

Has anyone had any luck with the Sony DRU-500A under Linux?  I have one of
these and have been trying off and on for the last year or so to get it to
burn DVDs.  I am not having any luck right now -- it seems to talk to the
drive, but seems to think that it has incorrect media in it.  I have tried
Sony DVD+RW's, Memorex DVD+R's, Memorex DVD-R's and Sony DVD-R's...

Following is a message I tried to send to dvdrtools-users back in February
before I knew that that list is no longer up:

I'm using cdrecord-prodvd 2.01a24 on Slackware 8.1 (kernel 2.4.18) with a Sony
DRU-500A.  The Sony was upgraded to firmware 2.0h.

If I run "cdrecord.prodvd -dev=0,0,0 -atip -driver mmc-dvd", the drive seems
to return an error that I have an incompatible medium in it.  I get this
error with Memorex 4X DVD-R's as well as Sony DVD-R's (speed unknown).  Just
for kicks, I also tried a Sony DVD+RW disk in it with the same results.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?  I use this same drive  to burn CD's all the
time, so I think this is either an issue with prodvd or my command line.  The
media is brand spanking new.

bash-2.05a# cdrecord.prodvd -dev=0,0,0 -atip -driver mmc_dvd
Cdrecord-ProDVD-Clone 2.01a24 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jörg
Schilling
Unlocked features:
Limited  features:
scsidev: '0,0,0'
scsibus: 0 target: 0 lun: 0
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.22
Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 0
Response Format: 2
Capabilities   :
Vendor_info    : 'SONY    '
Identifikation : 'DVD RW DRU-500A '
Revision       : '2.0h'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.
cdrecord.prodvd: WARNING: Trying to use other driver on known device.
cdrecord.prodvd: This version of cdrecord limits DVD-R/DVD-RW support to
-dummy or 1 GB real.
cdrecord.prodvd: If you need full DVD-R/DVD-RW support, ask the Author for
cdrecord-ProDVD.
cdrecord.prodvd: Free test versions and free keys for personal use are at
ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/ProDVD/
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc-2 DVD-R/DVD-RW driver (mmc_dvd).
Driver flags   : DVD MMC-3 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96R RAW/R96R
cdrecord.prodvd: Input/output error. test unit ready: scsi sendcmd: no error
CDB:  00 00 00 00 00 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: 70 00 02 00 00 00 00 12 00 00 00 00 30 00 00 00
Sense Key: 0x2 Not Ready, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x30 Qual 0x00 (incompatible medium installed) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
cmd finished after 0.010s timeout 100s
cdrecord.prodvd: No disk / Wrong disk!

Thanks,