me >>
> >Joerg: i would love to get an RTFM if there is any way to construct
> >a mkisofs pathspec that does not describe the whole file but only
> >a specified piece of it.

Joerg Schilling >
> Did you read the man page from mkiaofs?

Yes. I believe i can say : i did that several times. 2.01a35

> I don't understand where your problem is.

The motivation is :

I try to avoid potential problems with files >=2 GB without
demanding my users to reserve buffer space of up to 4250 MB on
their hard disk.

Let me assume the following backup task :

A few directories with a total of 20 GB including a big file
of 5 GB shall be backuped.

There shall be no need for special human attention to the big file.
The directory contents shall not be wrapped in tar or any other
archive format but be accessible in the ISO file system as
individual file objects. Just as it is achievable with mkisofs
pathspec arguments.
For the sake of safety, the big file is allowed to be stored
as several pieces with different names within the ISO image.

Solution attempt :

My program makes a distribution plan for the DVDs. It handles the
big file as three virtual pieces of 2047 MB , 2047 MB and 1026 MB.
The distribution plan finally looks like this :

  1st volume : piece 1 and 2 of the big file
               plus some smaller directories or files to fill
               it up to 4250 MB (i usually leave 5% reserve)
  2nd volume : piece 3 of the big file
               plus some 3.2 GB of directories or files to fill up

  3rd to 5th volume : the rest of the directories.

In order to prepare the first volume by mkisofs i do not see
a better way but to cut piece 1 and piece 2 out of the big
file and to store them on hard disk temporarily (4 GB needed).

Then i run mkisofs with the pathspecs of those temporary
files and the pathspecs of the smaller directories which shall
fill up. This is working fine.

So far, so good.

I am looking for a way to avoid the temporary copies of piece 1
and 2 on hard disk. But i still want to be able to give mkisofs
a lot of other pathspecs (i.e. the fill up directories).
That's why i think, i cannot use mkisofs -stream-media-size
or Paul Serice's flyisofs.

So my idea is to have some special option or form of pathspec
which allows me to let mkisofs cut the 2047 MB pieces out of
the original file directly. It would need to get fileaddress,
start byte and byte count (or end byte). It would have to
allow a target address with -graft-points. It would have to
be legal that it occurs more than once in the argument list
of a mkisofs run.
Of course, mkisofs should not need extra buffer space on
the hard disk for this.

If there is such a possibility with mkisofs, i politely ask
you to point me to it. I've tried hard to find it myself.
An example would be helpful.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas