~$ growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=happily.iso
Executing 'builtin_dd if=happily.iso of=/dev/dvd obs=32k seek=0'
/dev/dvd: splitting layers at 1860864 blocks
:-[ SEND DVD+R DOUBLE LAYER RECORDING INFORMATION failed with
SK=5h/ASC=26h/ACQ=00h]: Input/output error

~$ dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/dvd
INQUIRY:                [HL-DT-ST][DVDRAM GSA-4167B][DL12]
DVD+R DOUBLE LAYER BOUNDARY INFORMATION:
 L0 Data Zone Capacity: 1860864*2KB, can still be set

Note that growisofs attempts to split at default layer boundary. Meaning that the image is exactly as large as full media capacity, right?

Actually, the image happily.iso is less than full capacity as I understand it.

Oh, my bad, I've got brain fart:-) Of course 2x1860864*2KB is less then full capacity. I just assumed that if it failed splitting layers, then L0 capacity would be full capacity divided by two... But then above would mean that *despite* the fact that unit terminated "SEND DVD+R DOUBLE LAYER" command with given error code, the layer break position *was* in fact set anyway. To double-check could you locate plus_r_dl_split function in growisofs_mmc.cpp and modify the end of this function as following:

    if ((err=cmd.transport(WRITE,dvd_20,sizeof(dvd_20))) && err!=0x52600)
        sperror ("SEND DVD+R DOUBLE LAYER RECORDING INFORMATION",err),
        exit (FATAL_START(errno));

Recompile and try to burn. Don't forget to provide dvd+rw-mediainfo for resulting recording.

As I stated above, if I don't use the -dvd-compat option, the dvd burns
without any errors and will play on my Shinco dvd player but not my Yamaha
dvd player.

It should be noted that if image is exactly as large as media capacity, then the recording performed without -dvd-compat is identical to one performed with [at least according to specification]. Varying results are more likely to be caused by limited capability of second player to play DVD+R DL in general, rather than how this particular recording was performed.

Given that I misinterpreted the original query, there is a way to improve playability of media in question by running 'growisofs -M /dev/cdrom=/dev/zero' to close the disc. It doesn't guarantees playability in the above mentioned affected player though, as it still may have problems to play DVD+R DL media in general. A.