On Wed, Apr 04, 2007 at 02:25:26PM +0200, Andreas Klauer wrote:
> OS is Linux 2.6.18 Debian Etch, cdrecord installed manually
> (downloaded the tarball, compiled using 'make', nothing more).
>
> The board is an ASUS A7V880, with a VIA VT6420 SATA RAID Controller
> (integrated into VT8237 southbridge). Are there any known problems
> with this controller? Is it simply incompatible with CD/DVD writers?
>
> If it's supposed to work, what can I do to help debug this problem?

Hello everyone,

today I finally had the chance to test the hardware with another OS
installed on the same machine. I used Windows 2000 (forgive me) with
a software called "Infra Recorder" which is supposedly a cdrecord
frontend for windows.

I haven't tested every detail yet, but so far, the drive works just
fine, it created a bootable Knoppix DVD without a hitch. So something
on the Linux side seems to prevent the drive from working, probably
the Linux SATA VIA Controller driver?

Any suggestions on where to go from here?

Regards
Andreas Klauer