Hywel B. Richards wrote:

> Does mingw32ce use a different memory allocation method to cegcc/newlib?
> My guess would be that mingw32ce uses the wince memory allocation
> directly, and that newlib might have it's own memory allocation stuff??
>
> If so, then it seems that the newlib allocator is much more suitable for
> my task. Is there some way that I can use the memory allocator in newlib
> without having to use the rest of it?
>
> Has anyone else encountered this or have any suggestions?
> Am I on the right track with the memory allocation, or could this be
> down to something else entirely?

Yes.  cegcc uses a version of Doug Lea's malloc, while
mingw32ce uses whatever's in coredll.dll.

See:
/src/newlib/newlib/libc/sys/wince/malloc.c

You could try reusing it, and/or writing your own
global operator new, operator delete, etc.

However, if you find that you can isolate the parts of
the code that are critical, it may be better to use a pool
or a special allocator for the memory management of those
time critical allocations/objects.

Cheers,
Pedro Alves