Hi,

First off ... "Horray for the demise of the reaction element". From
your description, the script of Andrew's pulls apart the components
and adds in the formerly implicit rate*stoichiometry as I would
expect, though I would like stoichiometry to be represented as an
explicit variable so we can refer to it and not have to infer from
constants in the math. There may be some argument to more
decomposition of this into separate components, but that is work in
progress for Best Practices and Sarala's annotation work.

As for keeping some sane biology in the models that is lost by
removing reactions. Yes, Sarala's work will end up being the practice
we want to take for this, but at the moment it is not proven and
considering this is a public resource lets stick to something already
specified for cellml metadata which in time can be automatically
migrated to (or simply complimented with) something in Sarala's
domain. Briefly, Biopax addresses the role of an entity by way of its
place in an interaction process, whereas our reaction elements were
quite explicit about a role.

I would propose something very simple. Use the biological entity
metadata (see section 4.10  Biological Entity of
http://www.cellml.org/specifications/metadata/cellml_metadata_1.0#sec_general_metadata)
to refer to a prescribed role within our own controlled vocab that is
designed only for the purpose of maintaining this role data. The
<cmeta:bio_entity> can contain a collection of references which allow
for general concepts to be mapped to a CellML element as well as a
specific physical entity from say a protein database.

This means that each variable that had a role in the reaction element
would now need a cmeta id assigned to it and the respective rdf
written out for the bioentity data. The <rdf:value> of the identifier
would be the URI of the respective role in the role vocab.

It would make sense(and help the migration/complement of Srala's work)
if the roles for modulators could follow those set out in biopax (see
pages 17-19 of http://www.biopax.org/release/biopax-level2-documentation.pdf).

So we would end up with simple URIs such as the following (which map
into terms within some ontological context in the imaginary document
http://cellml.org/vocabularies/2007/05/17/reactionmapping):

For the role of entities
http://cellml.org/vocabularies/2007/05/17/reactionmapping#reactant
http://cellml.org/vocabularies/2007/05/17/reactionmapping#product
http://cellml.org/vocabularies/2007/05/17/reactionmapping#catalyst

For the kinds of modulators
http://cellml.org/vocabularies/2007/05/17/reactionmapping#activation
http://cellml.org/vocabularies/2007/05/17/reactionmapping#inhibition
http://cellml.org/vocabularies/2007/05/17/reactionmapping#inhibition-allosteric
http://cellml.org/vocabularies/2007/05/17/reactionmapping#inhibition-competitive
http://cellml.org/vocabularies/2007/05/17/reactionmapping#inhibition-irreversable
http://cellml.org/vocabularies/2007/05/17/reactionmapping#inhibition-noncompetitive
http://cellml.org/vocabularies/2007/05/17/reactionmapping#inhibition-other
http://cellml.org/vocabularies/2007/05/17/reactionmapping#inhibition-uncompetitive
http://cellml.org/vocabularies/2007/05/17/reactionmapping#activation-nonallosteric
http://cellml.org/vocabularies/2007/05/17/reactionmapping#activation-allosteric

Sarala has a rule for generating the cmeta ids of variables and math,
so perhaps it is best to make up an xslt that takes a cellml model and
generates the cmeta ids for the elements and puts them back in to the
elements and perhaps even creates stub rdf description elements for
each of them.

If you send me a component that has been decomposed from a reaction
element using Andrew's script, then I'll add in the rdf metadata in
the way I was thinking and post it back here.

cheers
Matt