The "utmp-thingies" are used on any *IX that keeps login records, a la "who", "last", and the like.

A little further digging seems we're only looking at the type and name fields of the utmp struct, and only in that one place in the code. These fields are identically named in the 2 types, and serve the same purpose, so there is no functional difference between what we would pull from a utmp structure or a utmpx structure.

Substituting utmpx instead of utmp would be a minimal change in the base <include>, made simpler by autoconfigure, and a determining of which include we brought in to determine whether *u should be of type utmp or utmpx. Once that's determined, *u should behave exactly the same.