On 30 June 2015 at 05:46, Kevin Bulgrien <kbulgr...@att.net> wrote:

> (Apologies for the potential duplicate post.  My initial post had a smashed
> subject line.  This post only adds the subject and this note.)
>
> I would like permission to edit this page.  The changes I have in mind are:
>
> 1) It is not necessary to burn a CD/DVD to do a "headless" install in cases
> where the installed system has a monitor, but for some reason cannot support
> a graphical install directly.   This can be caused by: a server that has too
> little memory to run a graphical install, or running the install in a virtual
> machine where the install does not work properly in the virtual machine
> console because the display is too small and controls are not shown.
>
> One situation where I ran into this situation was doing an install of 6.5 on
> very old server hardware.  The text mode install did not allow me to preserve
> partitions, and it was critical to preserve the /home mount to avoid data
> loss.  I had to run the graphical install, but the only way to do it on this
> hardware was to do a headless install.  I was thankful for the page because
> it helped me figure out how to do the headless install even though I didn't
> need to go to the trouble of making bootable media.  It seems potentially
> beneficial to make notes that help others also learn how to do it without
> burning media if this could solve their issue.
>
> Also, just last week I tried to perform a graphical install CentOS 7.1 in a
> VM under ESXi 6.  The install started out okay, but soon reached a point
> where installer windows/panels and controls did not fit in the console
> display.  While one might try to use TAB to select hidden controls, it was
> unsafe to do so because one could not even see the controls that needed to be
> manipulated.  As I didn't know how to cure the console size issue during
> install, it seemed logical to use a "headless" install method to get a higher
> resolution install console via a VNC viewer.  This might have worked except
> that:
>
> 2) The instructions given do not work for CentOS 7.  Something has changed.
> At this point I am still trying to figure out if the problem is simply a
> matter of changed kernel options, but after trying many things for a couple
> of days, it is clear that at least 7.1 does not work.  At the very least, the
> page could be improved by documenting this difficulty with 7.  I did find a
> lead tonight that might allow me to proceed with 7, but I haven't tested it
> yet.  If it works, then the edits would document changes key to making the
> process work for 7.
>
> The proposed edits would show how to invoke a "headless" install by editing
> kernel parameters at the initial install menu on the console.  Obviously this
> is not a true "headless install", but since it can be used to advantage, and
> as it is A LOT simpler than burning a CD/DVD, I feel the changes would help
> others that find themselves in the situation I was in.
>
> I am proposing to do the in
> [...]

Hello Kevin,

I have created a wiki home page for you
(wiki.centos.org/KevinBulgrien) and would suggest that you use it to
lay out your proposed changes in a draft form. When done, just ask on
this list for a review and comments and then your contribution(s) can
be merged.

I have appended a copy of the /TipsAndTricks/VncHeadlessInstall page
to your home page so that you have something to work with.

Alan.