On 06/21/2012 01:29 PM, Philip Durbin wrote:
> To allow for live migration between hypervisors, I've been using NFS for
> shared storage of the disk images for each of my virtual machines.  Live
> migration works great, but I'm concerned about performance as I put more and
> more virtual machines on this infrastructure.  The Red Hat docs warn that NFS
> won't scale in this situation and that iSCSI is preferred.
>
> I'm confused about how to effectively use iSCSI with KVM, however. libvirt
> can create new disk images all by itself in a storage pool backed by NFS,
> like I'm using, but libvirt can not create new disk images in a storage pool
> backed by iSCSI on its own.  One must manually create the LUN on the iSCSI
> storage each time one wants to provision a virtual machine.  I like how easy
> it is to deploy new virtual machines on NFS; I just define the system in
> Cobbler and kickstart it with koan.
>
> I think my solution to the problem of how to scale shared storage may be
> OpenStack, which promises this as a feature of Swift.  Then, perhaps, I'll be
> able to leave NFS behind.
>
> I'd be happy to hear more stories of how to scale shared storage while
> continuing to allow for live migration.

AFAIK you cannot use Swift storage as a Nova volume backend. Also in order
to make Swift scale you need at least a couple of nodes.

You might want to take a look at ceph.com
The offer an object store that can be attached as a block device (like
iScsi) but KVM also contains a driver that can directly talk to the storage.
Then there is CephFS which is basically a posix filesystem on top of the
object store that has some neat features and would be a closer replacement
to NFS.

Another thing to look at is http://www.osrg.net/sheepdog/
This is very similar to ceph's object storage approach.
Some large scale benchmarks (1000 nodes) can be found here:
http://sheepdog.taobao.org/people/zituan/sheepdog1k.html

Then there is http://www.gluster.org/
This is probably the most mature solution but I'm not sure if the
architecture will be able to compete against the other solutions in the
long run.

Regards,
  Dennis