On Thu, 13 Sep 2007, Ross S. W. Walker wrote:

Tom Diehl wrote:

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007, Ross S. W. Walker wrote:

Tom Diehl wrote:

Hi Tim,

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007, Tim Verhoeven wrote:

On 9/13/07, Tom Diehl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Does anyone know how  I can find out if an ibm serveraid
8k sas storage
controller (zero channel RAID) is a real hardware RAID
controller and
supported in the standard CentOs kernel or is it a fake
raid controller.
I am trying to decide if I should get the serveraid
controller or go get
a 3ware controller.

Tom,

The ServeRAID 8k s a real hardware raid controller, is
has 256 MB of
cache I think and a battery backup. So in this case there
is no need
for a 3ware controller. On the IBM website you can also find a
commandline tool (called arcconf) that allows you monitor and
configure the controller inside Linux.

Is there a place where this kind of thing is documented? I
looked through Google
for about 3 hrs yesterday and I could not find anything definitive.

Thank You, for the info.

I hate to be the stater of the obvious... but doesn't IBM's website
provide product specs along with a compatibility guide?

They do but nothing I can find in there tells me if it is
real hardware
raid or fake raid.  Adaptec for example, also says that their
fake raid cards
are comaptable with Linux but they do not clearly specify if
it is fake raid
or true hardware Raid. AFAIK the Adaptec cards are all fake
Raid. and some of
ServeRaid cards were also based on the Adaptec chipset and
hence Fake Raid.

When I looked at the IBM specs for the ServerRaid cards I did
not see anything
that indicated if the were real hardware raid or Fake Raid.
If I am missing
something please enlighten me. I am always willing to learn.

IMO this type of thing is ambigious at best.

Ok, if a card has an IO processor then it will definitely be a
true RAID card, as the fake ones don't have IO processors and
use the system processor as it's processor and thus why they
are "fake".

AAH!! That makes sense. I did not think about that but I should have. :-(

So look for a mention of an Intel/LSI/Broadcom on-board processor
in the specs and take note of the IO processor model # as that
will determine it's performance.

Again, that makes perfect sense. I feel stupid for not figuring it out on
my own. Sometimes one just cannot see the forest for the trees. :-)

Thanks for the education. This list is great!!

Regards,

--
Tom Diehl               [EMAIL PROTECTED]               Spamtrap address [EMAIL
PROTECTED]