Anne Wilson wrote:
On Tuesday 22 January 2008 14:52:19 Alain Spineux wrote:
Of course the main idea is to avoid to have a non firewall dedicated
linux (like centos is) configured by
someone without to much network knowledge be in front of Internet.

I'd really recommend going for the router. They are not very expensive and easier to set up than most dsl modems. A built-in firewall comes with most, and better ones have easily configured port-forwarding if/when you come to need it. My Netgear DG634G has all that and wireless too. And the best thing is that it has a really good we-based interface (most use web-based, but not all are good in terms of well-explained and easy to configure).

Anne

If you want to go with this kind of router (cheap, wireless, simple), i would then recommend a Linksys WRT-54GL (The trailing "L" is very important, about 50$) and replace the stock firmware with DD-WRT (GPL). DD-WRT is real nice, simple and have a lot of interesting features. It is less flexible than the solutions below.

You could go with OpenWRT and the same Linksys WRT-54GL if you're a Linux savvy.

If you have an old PC laying around, i'd then recommend pfSense. I have pfSense firewalls on some sites and it runs very very well.

If you prefer to go with SBC (Single Board Computer like a Soekris net45xx/net48xx or WRAP board), then you have a choice between mOnOwall and pfSense (and many others but those 2 are simple yet powerful).

I have a couple of SBC boxes installed at my clients' offices running mOnOwall (WRAP SBC Boards) and they do a very good job. They are very energy efficient with small footprint.

Finally, you could go for a used Cisco Router (something like a 2600 series) if you like Cisco like a do. But it's not an easy solution, it's very command line centric and you could have a hard time decrypting the very large command list of IOS (and getting used to it).

Hope this helped.

Guy Boisvert
IngTegration inc.