on 2/1/2008 4:33 PM Dean Maluski spake the following:
On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 16:11 -0800, nate wrote:
Dean Maluski wrote:
I've googled this question without a great deal of information.
Of couse will be creating RAID0 swap but leaving that out of the
question for obvious reasons.
You really should use anything but RAID 0 for swap. If you need
to swap and that device is dead then your system is hosed.

At one point I read that you can get RAID0-"like" performance
by having multiple swap partitions on multiple devices and mounting
them with the same priority(mount option pri=(some number)). It
(was/is) supposed to stripe the swap partitions. Not sure if that
ever worked, though I have configured systems over the years to
use matching swap priorities, never really looked to see if it
was doing what I expected though.

Yeah, from swapon(2):
[..]
If two or more areas have the same priority, and it is the
high-est priority available, pages are allocated on a
round-robin basis between them.

nate
OK, not really an answer to my hot spare question.
What I read sounds similar to what you state that if you create multiple
swap partions the system will create a raid0 of it.
So what is the recommendation? create 1 swap partition on one drive?
And for your hot spare question, you create the raid arrays the normal way, with raid type, number of drives set to 3, set the number of spares to 1, and have the 4 partitions on the command line. mdadm --create --level=5 --raid-devices=3 --spare-devices=1 /dev/part1 /dev/part2 /dev/part3 /dev/part4

It is all in the man page if you want other options.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and