Simon Jolle "sjolle" wrote:

This is a very broad question to ask, however, I will appeal to the basics.

1) Use HTTPS whenever possible to avoid any passwords crossing the wire in clear text.

2) Ensure only the necessary modules are installed or enabled for your CMS to operate.

3) Always think least permissions necessary to perform the task

4) Ensure that MySQL is locked down with least permissions necessary. At the very least after you've installed MySQL make sure to run the secure-mysql-installation script to assign a password to the MySQL root user and lock down some of the basic tables.

Each system is different and you should follow the guidelines outlined by the CMS to properly secure. If you are not sure of what you are deploying, that's kinda scary, you should be weary of that and tread lightly.

--
James A. Peltier
Technical Director, RHCE