On 08/05/2017 12:10 PM, Scott Robbins wrote:
On Sat, Aug 05, 2017 at 12:03:43PM -0400, H wrote:
- I just discovered all of this also works well in a note-type field in
KeePassX BUT

- none of it works in firefox, thunderbird, libreoffice or geany

My setup is thus partly correct and I draw the conclusion that KeePassX is
compiled using a different window library than the other four applications?

Can anyone shed light on this?

Seems geany uses Qt and the other four use GTK libraries. My problem is likely
related to this, have to search for setup issues related to GTK.

It might be worth creating a new user and seeing if it works for said user.

I don't know if you mentioned what desktop you use, but it might also be
worth, with said new user, trying openbox (available from EPEL) or some
other less intrusive desk environment to see if there's something Gnome is
doing.

I am using Mate. When in a terminal window I run

XMODIFIERS=@im=fcitx LC_CTYPE=zh_CN.GB18030 GTK_IM_MODULE=fcitx geany

Geany seems work as expected, i.e., I can switch between the two western
keyboards and also activate pinyin using Ctrl-Space. There does seem to be some
bug in fcitx however in that sometimes switching in and out of pinyin also
changes the keyboards and the first time I am in geany launched as described,
Ctrl-Space does not work, I have to click the systray icon to switch to pinyin,
after that Ctrl-Space does work.

For some reason my setup does not pick up the GTK_IM_MODULE setting when
launching a GTK program from the desktop...

At least, that's what I think.