On Thu, 27 Sep 2018, Robert Heller wrote:

I just tried a CentOS 7 install to a laptop over PXE and it failed in just the
same way as for the VM.

So, is it not possible to install CentOS 7 via PXE?  Or is there something
missing?  I just copied the images under os/x86_64/images/ to the tftpd
directory (/var/lib/tftpboot/) and included in
/var/lib/tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default this section:

label centos75-64
        MENU LABEL CentOS 7.5 x86_64
        kernel centos75x86_64vmlinuz
        append initrd=centos75x86_64initrd.img

Do I need anything more?

Things seem to die/fail at some point after initializing the graphics frame
buffer.  Is there a way to do a non-graphical install?  I have a keyboard and
really know how to use it and don't need some silly ("friendly"?) GUI to
install Linux (I don't need hand-holding).

Yes, you can ask for a text installer by including "inst.text" (no quotes) on the APPEND line of pxe configuration file.

That said, the text installer in EL7 is considerably less functional than the graphical installer.

My suggestion, fwiw, is to write up a kickstart file and use that instead; it's easiest if you have a local web server that handles unauthenticated plain-text http. Your entry would would like this:

label centos75-64
  MENU LABEL CentOS 7.5 x86_64
  kernel centos75x86_64vmlinuz
  append initrd=centos75x86_64initrd.img
inst.ks=http://192.168.110.144/ks/el7.ks inst.text

But you can try a the text installer and see where that gets you...

--
Paul Heinlein
heinl...@madboa.com