No, I dislike UUIDs. I dislike, strongly, lots of extra typing that
doesn't really get me anything. MAYBE, if you're in a Google or Amazon
datacenter, with 500,000 physical servers (I phone interviewed with them
10 years ago)... but short of that? Nope.

You can (perhaps should...) use the World Wide Name, which is a manufacturer ID unique to each disk. Contrary to the /sdX, it doesn't change with different configurations, OS or computer. An example of such an ID is the following:

/dev/disk/by-id/wwn-0x50025ee3b4f5ca61

Many modern disks have their WWN printed on their labels.