> On Aug 16, 2019, at 6:21 AM, Warren Young <war...@etr-usa.com> wrote:
>
> On Aug 15, 2019, at 11:04 PM, Bagas Sanjaya <bagasdo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Based on above cases, is it OK to give group of random users full
>> administrator privileges using sudo, by adding them to sudoers with ALL
>> privileges? Should sudoers call customer service number instead of sysadmin
>> when something breaks?
>
> sudo is a tool for expressing and enforcing a site’s policies regarding
> superuser privilege.
>
> If your sudo configuration expresses and enforces those policies the way you
> want it to, then the configuration is correct.  If it does not, then fix it.

Incidentally, sudo stands for substitute user do. Meaning: executing something
as a different user. I keep repeading it to proficient Linux users who
sometimes need my help too, amazingly they all percieve it as a super user do,
not as a substitute user do. Even though “man sudo” says in the first line: -
execute a command as another user…

Just mentioning.

Valeri

> sudo doesn’t tell you what your policies should be.
>
> We can suggest policies to you, but not based only on the information you’ve
> just given us.  To properly advise you, we’d need to know your threat models,
> the risk assessments, and more.  In short, we’d have to become your system
> administrators.

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago