> Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 10:33:29 -0400
>

>> You are definitely making your life more difficult then is needed for a
>> desktop machine.
>>
>> You said you have 4 hard disks. Make a software RAID1 out of the first two.
>> Make a software RAID1 out of the second two and your good to go.
>>
>> You can use dump/restore to backup the logical volumes on the second
>> RAID set to an LV on the first.
>>
>> No need for bare metal restore. Just need to get some working Linux distro
>> to be able to read your files.
>>
>> Going HW RAID for your desktop is going to get in the way of you getting
>> things going and if your HW RAID card fails then what? Your drives will only
>> work with another identical HW RAID card.
>>
>> -Ross
>
> That makes total sense Ross, I think I may end up going with software raid
> and investing in a good hot swap redundant power supply
> that would fit into an ATX case, combined with a good UPS.
>
> That brings up a last question on possiblity of either a 3ware or acrea RAID
> 1 cards.  I'm wondering how long I would be able to order
> a replacement RAID card from either of 3ware or areea.  Anyone know if 3ware
> or acrea stock identical replacement cards for their SATA 4 port raid cards
> for several years out?  Do they stock past the three year warranty period?

ACTUALLY I totally forgot.  I absoluteluy can not use software raid.  Because I
use Adobe products.  Adobe products do not install
well on software raid systems, and tend to crash on software raid beacuse of
their activation process.  If I go raid, I absolutely need a hardware raid
which is entirely transparent to the operating system, at least as far as adobe
products are concerned.