Update: I found a workaround to prevent entering emergency shell during boot
for no reason. I've simply cleared the `OnFailure=` option for
initrd-parse-etc.service (which was previously set to
`OnFailure=emergency.target`).

Now the server boots successfully without dropping into an emergency shell.

This is a total hack, and I'm a little embarrassed that it's the only solution
that I've found.

As I mentioned earlier, there are no errors printed in the boot or systemd
logs, so I don't know what is actually failing. Well, at least now I know that
it is `initrd-parse-etc.service` that is failing, but I don't know why. Does
anyone know what initrd-parse-etc.service does? Or have suggestions how to
troubleshoot that unit specifically?

Thanks,
Quinn