On 09/04/2021 02:34 PM, H wrote:
> On 09/02/2021 04:16 PM, Frank Cox wrote:
>> On Thu, 2 Sep 2021 16:07:08 -0400
>> H wrote:
>>
>>> On another note, the version that is available for C7, Mate 1.16.2, does not
>>> save all sessions when it crashes, nor does it save positions or session
>>> order arrangement on the bar. This means that every time the computer is
>>> restarted you have to spend time arranging your desktop working
>>> environment... I have not found any utility to do this for me either.
>> I use Mate, currently on C8 but previously on C7 and I've never had this
>> problem.
>>
>> I just have a single panel bar at the bottom (like Gnome version 1) and
>> arrange it to suit me and it stays the way I want it between sessions.
>> Every time I log in I see the same panel bar that I saw the last time I
>> logged in.
>>
>> Is this the problem you're having?  If so you might want to use dconf-editor
>> to lock the panel bar and see if that solves it.
>>
> Yes although I have multiple workspaces, each, of course, with its own set of
> windows. I want each workspace to open with the exact same windows, terminal
> windows or graphic applications, with the icons in the same order on the
> panel bar and the application windows placed in the same location on the
> desktop as when used last.
>
> Did Mate 1.20 under C7 do that for you? I end up with not quite the same
> number of windows on each workspace and not arranged in the last-used order
> on the panel bar...
>
> I will look at dconf-editor which I am not familiar with.

Just launched dconf-editor as the user and was greeted by the following error
messages the signficance of which I do not understand:

 dbind-WARNING **: 14:40:01.469: Couldn't connect to accessibility bus: Failed
to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-IU3DS9yULv: Connection refused

** (dconf-editor:33157): WARNING **: 14:40:01.594: source-manager.vala:108: The
following schemas:
  org.mate.terminal.profiles
  org.freedesktop.Tracker.Miner
contain neither keys nor children.

Not sure what they are trying to tell me (apart from the text in the message
itself...)?