Hi,

do we know what happens with the images at major hyperscalers and when? I’m
interested specifically about GCP. Who is in charge of centos-cloud project in
GCP? You or Google?

$ gcloud compute images describe centos-stream-8-v20240312 --project
centos-cloud
architecture: X86_64
archiveSizeBytes: '7072654848'
creationTimestamp: '2024-03-12T11:46:50.983-07:00'
diskSizeGb: '20'
family: centos-stream-8
guestOsFeatures:
- type: UEFI_COMPATIBLE
- type: VIRTIO_SCSI_MULTIQUEUE
- type: SEV_CAPABLE
- type: GVNIC
id: '1486194601799523829'
kind: compute#image
labelFingerprint: 42WmSpB8rSM=
licenseCodes:
- '3197331720697687881'
licenses:
-
https://www.googleapis.com/compute/v1/projects/centos-cloud/global/licenses/centos-stream
name: centos-stream-8-v20240312
rawDisk:
  containerType: TAR
  source: ''
selfLink:
https://www.googleapis.com/compute/v1/projects/centos-cloud/global/images/centos-stream-8-v20240312
sourceType: RAW
status: READY
storageLocations:
- eu
- asia
- us

> On 18. Mar 2024, at 08:28, Fabian Arrotin <arr...@centos.org> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> As you're all aware (we sent multiple mails in the last year about this),
> CentOS 7 and Stream 8 will go EOL soon :
> https://blog.centos.org/2023/04/end-dates-are-coming-for-centos-stream-8-and-centos-linux-7/
>
> Let's lists some things that will happen on the CentOS Infrastructure as
> we'll be approching (or passed) these dates :
>
> # CentOS 7/8s content itself
> Usual process : content will be archived to https://vault.centos.org and
> removed from mirror.centos.org completely, with just a simple readme file
> dropped here (for example http://mirror.centos.org/centos/8/readme for
> already EOL'ed version). Worth knowing that some SIGs are still building for
> RHEL8, still supported for SIGs through https://cbs.centos.org so such kind
> of content will continue to be available there as long as SIGs can build
> against/for it
>
> # CBS/koji (https://cbs.centos.org)
> No impact on CBS env itself ( not running centos 7 nor 8s for a long time
> now) but the various build tag reflecting centos 7 and 8s will be locked so
> that nobody would be able to build content anymore : that would even be
> impossible as content itself will have been removed from mirror.centos.org
> (internally used for cbs build tags)
>
> # CentOS Forums (https://forums.centos.org) :
> still running on centos 7 and even if that's easy to migrate to
> newer/supported EL version, it was decided to just shutdown the service
> (based on discussion with the actual moderation team). An option (to be
> announced on forums.centos.org ?) is to eventually start moving
> thread/discussions on Fedora discourse (There is already a CentOS category
> there : https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/c/neighbors/centos/71)
> So the plan is just to shutdown forums.centos.org and remove A/AAAA records
> from DNS
>
> # mirrorlist.centos.org service :
> Starting from Stream 9 (and above), deployed CentOS instance ares using
> Fedora infra mirrormanager instance for metalink= instead of mirrorlist= in
> .repo files. We'll just decommission our mirror crawler (also running with a
> mix of perl/python2 code), so not validating any mirror for legacy/EOL
> releases. mirrorlist.centos.org A/AAAA records will be removed in the
> following weeks after c7 will be EOL'ed.
> That means that people still running CentOS 7 or 8-stream will not have
> functional yum/dnf stack, except if they point to either vault or have
> internal mirror but at least people would be aware that distro itself is EOL
> and that they shouldn't expect to receive any update anymore
>
> # CentOS mailing-lists
> Currently running on mailman2 stack, on top of CentOS 7 linux : there is WIP
> to port everything to up2date mailman3 stack, actually packaged for EPEL9.
> We have successfully imported archives into mailman3 and same for lists
> [...]

Aleksandar Ivanisevic
Head of Operations and Support
2e Systems

Tel: +49 - 6196 - 950 58 14
Fax: +49 - 6196 - 950 58 94
E-mail: aleksandar.ivanise...@2e-systems.com

Address: 2e Systems GmbH,  Koenigsteiner Str. 107, 65812 Bad Soden am Taunus
Company registration: Amtsgericht Koenigstein (Germany), HRB 7303
Director: Philip Douglas

http://www.2e-systems.com - making your business fly!